Welcome to the World!

There’s a new man in my life — a very little man. He’s already mesmerized me with his charm and good looks.

A text message woke me up at 11:47 last night, and kept me semi-awake the rest of the night. At 4:30 I finally got up and bustled around, waiting for the call. At last it came.

“We have a baby.”

“Yes?” (Come on, boy or girl?)

“His name is Calvin Sterling.”

I cried. I thanked God for this first little grandson.

I thanked God for this first little boy who will carry on his great-grandfather’s family name.

I thanked God for this precious boy’s daddy who loved my daddy so much, and who chose to bless his son with my daddy’s name.

I thanked God for his mama who has already loved him and cared for him for nine months, and who graciously accepted God’s plan when her labor came to a halt over a week ago and left her in suspense and discomfort until the following Sunday evening. She’s going to have her hands full with three daughters, oops, make that children (wow, I have to get used to this boy word!)¬†aged three and under.

I thanked God for a covenant family of believers who have prayed for him and his parents, and who will stand committed to him and his family in the years to come.

I thanked God for his uncomplicated labor and delivery.

Instead of writing a blog post about choosing the right things to do throughout the day (addressing an excellent question that was asked in response to last Tuesday’s post), I embraced the gifts my heavenly Father chose to bestow on my day:

• A day with our daughter and her two little girls who live two hours away
  • Little Katie bursting into our house with, “Nana! Nana! Nana!” and an immediate invitation to play Princess with her
  • Impish Victoria toddling over to me and babbling as she held up her arms
  • Calvin’s warm little head, his newborn cry, his bright eyes as he quietly observed the new world ¬†around him.

I had planned on addressing a question that was asked in response to last Tuesday’s post. “How do you determine which things God wants you to do each day?” Instead I did what God obviously wanted me to do today. I enjoyed His many blessings, and I thanked Him from an overflowing heart.

Pretty good lookin' for just seven hours old!

Photos by Susannah Forster and Daniel Forster

About Pam

Pam is the wife of John and mother to six children who were all homeschooled and are all now graduated. She writes most of the materials for Doorposts, plays the piano for church, enjoys calligraphy, watercolor, and gardening, tries to keep up with all her adult children, and loves hugs and kisses from her seven delightful grandchildren.
This entry was posted in Family, Fatherhood, Grandparents, Motherhood. Bookmark the permalink. | Printer-friendly view

18 Comments on Welcome to the World!

1. Dorothy Karman says:

Congratulations, Forster family. What wonderful blessings!

2. Jamie says:

Congratulations!!! What a precious addition to your family. God is so good!

3. Nikki says:

Wow! Congratulations! Guess I’m feeling sappy today, it was all I found do to not cry for your joy!

4. Rosanne Spears says:

What a cutie! Congrats!

5. Sonila says:

Calvin is so handsome! Congratulations!

6. Sandra Wright says:

What a beautiful baby! What a God-blessed day!

7. Congratulations on your newest blessing! This was one of the first things I read this morning, and it started my day off “on the right foot” with a smile on my face! Imparting wisdom upon your readers can wait (which you actually did impart some wisdom in this post); following what God has laid on your heart to write about is far more important!

8. Gah! He is so cute! I need to run back and kiss him more! ;-)
    It’s so cool to finally have a little boy in the family!

9. Melissa B says:

Congratulations! He is a very handsome little fella! :-)

10. Congrats and what a wonderful post!

11. Crafty Mama says:

Squeeee, I just want to reach through the computer and kiss his adorable little head!! Congratulations to you and your children’s family!!

12. Calvin's Mama says:

Thanks Nana for a beautiful post and Suzy for such great pictures!

13. Cyndi says:

Beautiful!!!!

Praise the Lord!!!!

14. Amy Hayes says:

Congratulations Nana! Grand-boys are all kinds of cute and fun in ways that are completely different than granddaughters. Enjoy!

15. BLESSINGS!!! What a beautiful little man!

16. his.talmidat says:

He is handsome! Amazing, simply amazing. God is amazing.

17. Sunshine says:

God bless this amazing multiplying family. Calvin is so beautiful. These are the first pictures that I was able to see. Thank you for sharing your joy, Pam. I can’t wait to meet him.

Note to Calvin’s Momma and Daddy… You are precious to us. Looking forward to hugs and kisses all around. And for you dear Momma, also looking forward to giving a hug with babies in arms (instead of bellies bumping). :)

18. kimberly says:

Congratulations!! He truly is a beautiful baby. God bless you and your family. I’m so glad you share pictures!