Pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth. (Psalm 145:18)
A simple prayer notebook can help you and your children remember prayer requests and see how God answers your prayers. If you have mostly small children, you might want to keep one notebook for the whole family, but if your children are old enough to write and pray on their own, each child can have his or her own notebook. Use spiral notebooks, journals, or print copies of this page and put them in a binder.
Once you’ve selected your notebook(s), label a separate page for each person you want to pray for, including:
- Each member of your immediate family
- Grandparents and extended family
- Church leaders
- Government leaders (Current federal leaders are listed at this website. If you enter your address, you can also find your senators, representative, and other state officials)
- Missionaries and persecuted Christians (If you don’t already know specific people to pray for, ask your church leaders or visit Kids of Courage, Gospel for Asia, Voice of the Martyrs, or Operation World.)
- You might also make pages for special prayer requests and things you are thankful for.
Make time to sit down as a family, talk about prayer requests, and write them down (you might do this at mealtimes, during family worship, or on a Sunday afternoon). Over the course of this week, fill in several prayer needs for each person in your notebook. Leave room to write in other prayer requests later on.
Plan a time each day to pray for people from this notebook. This can be during your family worship time, at the meal table, or before going to bed. Children who are old enough to pray can pick one or more requests to pray about.
Add other prayer requests as you hear about them. Does a father in your church need a job? Is someone sick? Write these prayer needs down in your notebook, and pray for them often.
As time goes by, you will notice that God has answered some of your prayers. When that happens, you can check off the request and record how God answered!
While you’re praying, please pray for Pam, Joseph, Hannah, Benjamin, and Bethany, as they are in Poland this week with a larger missions team working with local churches in Poznan and Gdansk. Visit the Reformation for Poland blog for daily updates and specific prayer requests!
Street Evangelism – Poland 2011 (video courtesy Evangelos).