Just three more days! On Sunday we start our new Busy Mamas Bible Study on Isaiah 53! The more I study this chapter, the more excited I get! This one short passage can change the way we see ourselves, the way we see God, the way we see those around us. It can revolutionize the way we live if we really take hold of its message! There is a reason Isaiah 53 is often referred to as “the fifth gospel”. So much is packed into this one little chapter of the Bible!
If you haven’t done a Busy Mamas study with us before, I would encourage you to consider making time for this one. What better way to prepare our hearts for the Passion Week and Resurrection Sunday than to spend the month meditating on what Christ accomplished on the cross?
Lessons will take 5-15 minutes a day, so you only have to come up with a few minutes each day in order to study. Just five minutes a day will add up to two-and-a-half hours of study by the end of the month. Two-and-a-half hours in one chapter can accomplish a lot!
Many of us spend a great deal of time and energy planning, shopping for, and preparing nutritious meals for our families. Good, healthy, regular meals are important to the health and well-being of our loved ones. Good regular times of feeding on God’s Word are just as important to our spiritual health. If we aren’t being nourished from the Word, we’re slowly starving ourselves spiritually. Our fellowship with God suffers, and we won’t have the wisdom or the strength to joyfully serve Him in the roles He has given us.
If you’re having trouble making time for Bible study:
- Get up a few minutes earlier for the month or ask your husband to watch the children for a few minutes after dinner each evening so you can study.
- Study during an afternoon quiet time for the children, or gather the children around you and let them see you studying! This is how they will learn how important it is to spend time in God’s Word. You can show them.
- While you study, they can spend the time looking at Bible story books, reading their own Bibles if they’re old enough, or even just quietly playing with a few toys that are only available while you are studying your Bible.
- Set a timer. Ask the children to save all questions and requests until the timer goes off. They can learn how to do this.
- Put an older child in charge for fifteen minutes.
- Explain how important this time of study is to you.
- Involve the children in your study by doing the children’s lessons that will be included in each day’s post. These will help you review what you are learning in your own study, and they will walk your children through Isaiah 53 in a way they can understand. If they understand Isaiah 53, they will understand the gospel. And that’s the most important thing they can understand!
Start praying now for the Holy Spirit’s work in their hearts — and yours!
- If you’re new to the Busy Mamas studies, here’s what you’ll need: (1) a Bible, (2) a notebook of some sort, (3) a pen, (4) a computer or other electronic device (for using some of the great free study tools that are out there), and (5) a handful of colored pencils or pens. If you want to invest in a set of colored pencils, these ones have nice soft leads that don’t mar the thin pages in a Bible and are beautiful, rich colors. But you can use whatever pencils you have on hand.
- If you think some of your friends would enjoy studying along with you, share this post with them! Ask them to join you. Help hold each other accountable, if you need some help establishing a new habit.
- If you’re looking for ways to make time for your study, read this post for some ideas.
- If you want more ideas for managing to study your Bible with a house full of children, check out this post.
- If you want to interact with other women who are also doing the study, be sure to join the Busy Mamas Facebook group. You’ll be able to share what you’re learning, learn from what others are sharing, ask questions, share resources, and encourage each other to persevere in your study.
- If you’re new to this blog and aren’t a regular subscriber, be sure to subscribe (in the right-hand sidebar). That way each day’s lesson will be waiting in your inbox in the morning, ready for you to study. (Be sure to respond to the confirmation email to activate your subscription.)
I hope to “see” you on Sunday!