Memorizing Scripture through Song

Child studying scripture music Not long ago, I was washing dishes with fiddle music playing in the background, when I overheard a small voice start singing in the other room. I listened, and my three-year-old was singing another song that I’d played a few times earlier that week.  As I listened, I was surprised to discover that she knew the whole song!

What a wake-up call. I realized if she could memorize things that quickly, I needed to be more deliberate about what she was listening to.

Like most of my problems, I took it to my Knight in Shining Armor, who didn’t disappoint!

To This Generation CDPretty soon I was listening to Ruth Holleran’s CD, To This Generation. From the CD cover, I did not have very high expectations. I could not have been more wrong. Mrs. Holleran obviously has musical training, because the songs are well written AND varied; I don’t start singing one song and end with another. Each song repeats the verse twice, along with the reference (which is great for Bible memory!).

After a few days, I caught myself singing, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer, and supplication, let your requests be made known to God,” while doing dishes. Then pretty soon Ruby is singing softly, “Our Father, who art in heaven…” all the way through! Then Philippians 4:6-7. Then Malachi 3:10. Her progress in Bible memory has significantly increased since I’ve been playing this CD.

Not only is God’s Word entering my daughter’s heart, but it’s being impressed on my own as well. The homemaking job is demanding, but lately when I’ve been in the middle of a hard day I’ve heard in my head, “No temptation has overtaken you, but such as is common to man…” What encouragement! It’s amazing how God’s Word can change your attitude.

(You can hear samples of Ruth Holleran’s music here.)

About Katelyn

Katelyn is a happy wife to Daniel, homemaker, and mother of three children who thrill her heart every day. She likes to bake, write, and cuddle up with her girls and read books on the couch.
This entry was posted in Family, Family Worship, Positive character building, Recommended and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. | Printer-friendly view

9 Comments on Memorizing Scripture through Song

1. Jessica says:

This is so true!! I would play songs/YouTube videos of scripture songs while with my son (who is now 17 months old) & last week I heard him singing a part to the song…I was so encouraged!! Thanks for the cd reference, I’ll have to check it out. Another good ministry is: Family Worship Seeds…they put together CDs with songs/scripture based on a topic (ie: praise, character etc). They also have a few of their songs on YouTube videos. I love that they put two CDs in 1 case….so that we can give the other 2nd one away: “planting seeds” !!

2. Susan says:

These sound beautiful! We’ve got a few CDs from Dana Dirksen at Songs For Saplings. http://www.songsforsaplings.com/ She also puts scripture with its reference to song, and my kids LOVE it. In addition to scripture for each letter of the alphabet, numbers, and various holidays/seasons, she’s also put scripture & references together to the questions from the children’s shorter catechism. I’ve been able to refer to these whenever my children have asked questions about God. It’s great to have the reference in the song, too, so that they can look the verses up in their own little Bibles and read them on their own.

3. Jenn Cook says:

We really like all the scripture songs from Seeds Family Worship — you can actually listen to all their albums online for free at their website. http://www.seedsfamilyworship.net/listen-online/

Use the arrow on the right hand side to change to their 6 different albums.

The songs really get stuck in your head and they also provide the verse and reference in the songs. These are our family favorites and also my kids LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Steve Green “Hide Em In Your Heart” albums too.

4. Christy says:

I like the sound of that! What version of the Bible does she use?

5. rachel says:

I love the GT and the Halo Express series for mid age children. They are stories with applicable verses put to fun music throughout…very well done!

6. Cheryl Powell says:

We love Steve Green too! Another great site I use alot to memorize scripture is http://www.hubboardscupboard.org. She has tons of scripture set to familar tunes, many with finger motions or sign language! It helps me as well since Hubby and I were not raised Christian, we are easily memorizing scripture as a family! LOL

7. HappyHomemaker says:

Christy, she uses NAS, NKJ, and NIV. I think it has to do with how it lends itself to rhythm.

8. Angela says:

Hello,

I was very interested in this post as we too find music a great way to learn scripture. We also, listen online to Songs for Saplings http://www.songsforsaplings.com/ You can listen to whole albums online and quite a few of their songs are available for free download.

Thank you to the other commentors for sharing your links.

I think the link Cheryl gave might be incorrect and this is perhaps the correct one? http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/bible_memorization.html

Blessings,
    Angela

9. Sunshine says:

Hi Katelyn. Thanks for the post about scripture songs. I need to get mine back out for my little ones. I haven’t tried the one that your post reviewed. I might just have to now.
    I recently purchased Jamie Soles “Pure Words,” it is very good. He is one of my favorite songwriters. “Memorials” ans “Songs of Ascent” are two of my favorites. Doorposts has been a fantastic resource for music in our home.
    Thanks for the encouraging ministry to our family.
    Sunshine